Saturday, January 6, 2018

Statement to Prince William County Delegation to the Virginia General Assembly, January 6, 2018



I’m Allen Muchnick, a City of Manassas resident.  I’ve helped lead the Arlington Coalition for Sensible Transportation since 1999.  The following remarks are my own.

Most of you oppose the recent congestion-priced tolling of I-66 inside the Beltway, but that opposition is misguided and counterproductive.  After spending the past 18 years fighting for a wiser I-66 inside the Beltway, I’m quite familiar with all the arguments against the tolls and would be happy to meet with any of you to discuss this issue.  For now, here are some facts:

I-66 inside the Beltway is the most controversial Interstate highway segment ever built, has two Metrorail lines in its median, and has always had peak-period HOV restrictions.   The congestion-priced tolls merely replace the former HOV restrictions, which had failed to keep I-66 free-flowing for express buses and carpools due to several HOV exemptions and rampant HOV cheating.

NOBODY is forced to pay these tolls.  Ample toll-free alternative routes exist inside the Beltway, including the Route 50 and GWMP expressways.  Those who formerly drove on I-66 before or after the former HOV hours, often at 30 MPH or less, are not inordinately delayed by using an alternative route, and they now have the option of traveling I-66 at 55 MPH by paying the toll or carpooling.

The new I-66 tolls are less unfair than the tolls on the I-495 or I-95 express lanes:  only one passenger is needed for toll-free travel, and the bulk of the toll revenue is being invested in transit (including PRTC bus and VRE), ride-sharing, roadway, and other multimodal I-66 corridor improvements that benefit the toll payers.   Moreover, without this tolling, widening I-66 both outside and inside the Beltway would be politically and financially infeasible.

The toll prices are irrelevant; they are the minimum needed to keep I-66 free flowing for express buses and carpools.  Save your outrage for the decades of congestion delay endured by I- 66 bus riders and carpoolers.  Save your outrage for the decades of inadequate support of bus transit and ridesharing by Prince William’s elected officials.

Thank you for your time and attention.

No comments: